Online Community Development
Months of partnership
Deployed new sales funnel, onboarding, website and marketing strategy.
Using new and improved customer-centric acquisition techniques.
Founder Karlo wanted to fully operate in alignment his values, restoring human to business. This meant analyzing the business from a human-centric perspective. I promised I could deliver him affordable, repeatable exercises to gain real customer insight, and optimizations of his business impact goals.
Under further investigation, all macro conversions happened on the website, because of the use of powerful CRM/class scheduler/payment processor Mind Body. Karlo's business model was going to expand to include global franchising opportunities. He also wanted to attract more trainers to get Restore Human Level 1 certified. Essentially, all of Restore Human's business goals need to be converted online. Because of this, website usability and accessibility is where we decided to investigate first.
We utilized two types of usability discovery, heuristic evaluation and user testing. We used the initial heuristic evaluation to form hypothesis to design the user testing sessions around. We tested the ability for users to complete the four main goals of the website.
• Create evaluation. Utilized N&Ng evaluators, and established a 1-5 ranking system for errors.
• For each single evaluator, went through entire website (with the exclusion of the Calgary microsite)
• Ranked each finding for its importance
• Ordered findings to set testing priorities
We set the scope of study, taking learnings from heuristic analysis to craft sessions that will support findings, and uncover new. Because our goals were to find the important qualitative data, statistical consistency was not a concern. We opted to run three contextual and thorough sessions for the three main users.
A current member of the gym. Session goal to learn user benchmarks, evaluate website/app use, and brand consistency.
Someone in the target market that has never heard of Restore Human. Session goal was to learn what users understand about the service from the information on the website. We evaluated how easy it was for the user to learn what she needed to know before converting. We gathered navigational context with a card sort.
A personal trainer that may be interested in becoming certified in Restore Human Level 1, and then an affiliate. Session goal to see if website had the information and experience needed for a conversion. User needs benchmarks set.
• Plan test: Scope, scenario, questions/tasks
• Recruit participants
• Screener used: “You are curious about enhancing your physicality. You may or may not be satisfied with it's current level, but are interested in doing more. You may or may not have an idea about what that entails, but are definitely curious.”
• Local sessions took place in coffee shops or remotely using Zoom.us.
We prioritized the information we gathered from our users mental models. Now it was time to redesign based on these structures. We narrowed our navigation into two main archetypes: goals focused, and identity focused. Given the user data, we decided goals focused was a way to keep users active, and experience a wider IA for accessibility.
• Sketched out wireframes and presented them to Karlo
• Selected Site Map
• Began wireframing mobile first, given responsive platform.
• Mid-fidelity wireframes were tested with 2 RH members, iterations made.
• Built website in Squarespace
Google Analytics customization
We set key performance indicators for our various user goals and created a custom report for it's measurement. We discovered that our page load time was affecting drop off. We saw that very few clicked on the image galleries we embedded in the home page. In our second iteration, we get rid of the gallery and choose a single image to represent the concept.
Collecting user feedback
We posted a satisfaction survey on the Restore Human's member page. It also collected other user insights. Users were happy with the redesign, goals were being met. However this data collection surfaced another design challenge that they had previously experienced: users weren't clear they had to buy three private training sessions before they could start attending classes. I wasn't clear on that either, as we did not specify this in our pricing page.
The team had a spreadsheet to track lead follow-up, but no consistent rhythm established to when contact and follow-up would occur. We worked together to build a sales funnel, and messaging priorities in each stage. We worked to build out effective sales and marketing dashboards that the team could easily use and keep on track of leads.
With sales and marketing infrastructure in place, and a new website, it was time to fill the pipeline.
Karlo wanted to target UBC and other university students for September back to school promotions.
We designed an offer, 15% off group classes when you sign up for a free introductory session. We used facebook ads to target our market and send them to our landing page capture form.
From 6,500 impressions, 33 unique visitors to our landing page, we received 2 conversions. That gives us 200% increase than the previous facebook marketing campaign.